Close

May 11, 2021

Green care: how being with nature benefits mental health

A series of three images, including forget-me-nots in a woodland, a sunset over Morecambe Bay and a black cat (Charley) sitting in a garden

In my blog for the Lancaster Environment Centre, which was posted during Mental Health Awareness Week, I discussed how connecting with nature through outdoor group activities benefits our mental health, sharing both my research and my personal experiences. In the blog I explored the mental health benefits participants mentioned during interviews, as well as a sense of belonging to the outdoor group activities, both socially and to the nature present. I also recognised that a PhD is testing and reflected on my struggles and how I support myself through my own relationship with nature. The blog was dedicated to my cat Charley (2008-2021), who died whilst I was writing it. She was a beautiful companion, who always enhanced my mental wellbeing and was a brilliant co-interviewer, popping up in many of my interviews with facilitators and participants! To read the blog please go to Green care: how being with nature benefits mental health.