I am a researcher with a strong commitment to promoting equity in technology, particularly in the context of age and gender. My research journey began during my eight years of experience in a software development team, where I witnessed the gender inequality prevalent in the computing industry. This firsthand experience motivated me to embark on a PhD journey dedicated to advancing gender diversity in digital innovation.

My research focuses on crucial topics such as reflexivity, intersectionality, and gendered language in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), with publications in these areas.

Beyond my research, I have actively contributed to promoting diversity and inclusion in computing education as a researcher in Diversity and Inclusion in Computing Education at Lancaster University. In this role, I have been responsible for various tasks, including supporting Athena Swan submissions, engaging with local schools, and conducting data analysis to address equality issues within the department. I have also worked as a Digital Research Engagement Officer at Oxford Brookes University, where I supported a research project by developing branding and a website to enhance its impact.

One of the main aims I want to achieve is taking my research beyond the academic space and into industry, which is why I founded Digital Heard Ltd outside of my university life, where I work with companies to ensure their tech businesses are given the tools they need to ensure everyone is heard, regardless of gender.

My role on the project and why I wanted to join the team

My motivation to join the project stems from my belief that age, much like gender, is a critical dimension of diversity that intersects with technology. Challenging age-related stereotypes and biases is essential, and I am enthusiastic about exploring how age and gender identity interact with technology. With this project, we can contribute to a more inclusive and equitable digital future that values and respects individuals of all ages and gender identities.