Senior Leaders Masters offers Lucy pathway to career success

School leader Lucy Burnett is confident a Senior Leaders Masters Degree Apprenticeship from Lancaster University will boost her career ambitions. 

Lucy is a Senior Leader at Flakefleet Primary School, in Fleetwood. She benefited from the personal approach employed by the Centre for Executive Training and Development (CeTAD), with individual mentors and recognition of your existing skills and knowledge. 

Lucy started the SLMDA with the quadruple accredited and world-ranked Lancaster University Management School (LUMS) with experience and previous qualifications built up over 12 years working in the education sector, and LUMS’ Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning allowed her to fast-track her studies. 

The flexible work-based course, led by CeTAD tutors experienced in digital and distance learning delivery, allows Lucy to balance learning with her professional role and quickly employ her new skills. 

The SLMDA has helped me to develop my leadership skills, building on my school leaders’ National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership,” says Lucy. It links directly to my new role in the school, which has come with increased responsibility, and it supports my ambitions to further my career.   

“The Masters bridges studying and my work role really well, and it is very practical, allowing me to examine and reflect upon my experiences. Critical reflection has been extremely valuable, looking at how I have dealt with issues previously and how I would change my practice in the future. It has given me a greater understanding of the theory that underpins the skills I demonstrate as a senior leaderand where I need to develop further. 

SLMDA course fees are fully funded through the Government’s Apprenticeship Levy, and the learning feeds into Lucy’s workplace appraisals and development targets, supporting her Continuing Professional Development. Flakefleet Primary will also benefit from Lucy’s Masters project, which will feed directly into the school’s development plan. 

Throughout the course, Lucy has been supported by the CeTAD team, including associate Krista Court, who runs a series of optional webinars, and has enjoyed access to other Lancaster University resources, such as the University Library and learning materials. 

“I particularly enjoyed the entrepreneurship module, and completing the optional webinars to support my learning,” Lucy adds. “Thanks to Krista Court, it has often felt like I have received one-to-one tutorials following on from the webinars. 

Studying for a Masters is such a fantastic opportunity, and I really appreciate everything that is available to me while on the course. 

The SLMDA is endorsed by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM), and is suitable for people working in the public, private and third sectors, typically with a minimum of three years’ management or leadership experience.  

Fees for courses starting this year are fully-funded for employers through the Government’s Apprenticeship Levy – with a 95% subsidy for non-levy employers – for the final time. The application process is open for September and December 2020 starts. 

A video explaining the course in more detail is available online here:https://youtu.be/0Eh-B6-AW9EFor more information, call 01524 593318, email cetad@lancaster.ac.uk, or visit https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums/slmda