FASS Internship Scheme: Success Story

Kayla Jenkins, recent graduate of English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice has been working over the summer as a Content Delivery Manager at Copify Ltd. She shared a short summary of her experience with us…

I chose to undertake an internship because I wanted to do something worthwhile over the summer following my graduation, and I figured that this would be a great way to help me narrow down future career paths. I also knew it would give me crucial employability skills.

As Content Delivery Manager, I essentially have to fulfill copywriting requests for a variety of clients – from articles and blog posts to press releases and product descriptions! It is important to keep on top of the workload in this role; otherwise, you can easily get bogged down.

[The experience to date has been] so, so enlightening! It demonstrated to me just how complex the copywriting business is, from meta descriptions to search engine optimisation! – I have learnt so much that I just would not have done if I had not undertaken this internship.

[What I like most about the internship is] the fact that it was remote. It meant that I could work in my own chilled environment, whilst also keeping in touch with colleagues through Google Hangout.

[The internship has definitely helped me to decide on the next steps of my career.] I massively enjoy working in copywriting due to the fact you are constantly learning. With every copy request, I have to do topical research, so I am always improving my knowledge on the most random topics – I have read so many scaffolding regulations that I could probably qualify as a professional scaffolder!

The FASS Placements & Internships team supported me before gaining the internship; the Careers team are an absolutely invaluable asset to anyone looking to apply for an internship. They helped me with my cover letter and CV, and continued to give support throughout the duration of my internship.

Kayla Jenkins

If you would like to learn more about the FASS Internship Scheme, get in touch with the team via fassplacements@lancaster.ac.uk or call 01524 593510