Heritage Work Placement Module at Lancaster City Museum

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers course specific employabilty modules throughout your degree so you can improve your skills and experience that also contribute to your degree. In this blog post, Tom and Charlotte provide feedback on their experience working fro Lancaster City Museum in a work placement module.

Tom Huntington is a second year English Literature and History Student at Lancaster University. Recently, he undertook one of our history work placement modules at Lancaster City Museum as part of his degree. Below, he discusses his experience of the module and the skills and experience he gained from this.

The placement was a really great experience, and we got to have a really interesting look at the inner workings in local heritage. I really enjoyed working with the art collection and gaining experience with a collections database, which is potentially very valuable skill to have gained. We were designing an art guide at the City Museum, so it was also brilliant to gain experience with writing for a public audience and work with programmes like Adobe Photoshop and InDesign to create it. I had a lot of fun with the extra opportunities we were offered through this placement as well, it was great to be able to help out with setting up the new exhibition at the Maritime Museum.

Second year History student Charlotte Stones also undertook a placement module with Lancaster City Museum. Here’s what she had to say about her experience.

Working at the Lancaster City Museum was a fantastic experience. I was tasked with creating an art guide for the current display at the museum, and I was given full independence and responsibility to carry out this brief. All the employees were extremely helpful and treated me like any other member of staff, something that was completely different from what I was used to at university. It gave me a serious insight into work in the heritage sector that has encouraged me to look into a potential career in this sector. I had the opportunity to experience behind the scenes of a museum and got an insight into the variety of jobs and tasks that museum workers undertake on a daily basis. I’m truly grateful to have had this opportunity, and the experience and skills I gained will prove invaluable after university. I highly recommend taking a placement like this, even if you’re unsure what career you want, as the experience can help you decide whether the job is something you want to pursue!

If you’d like to learn more about our work placement modules you can find more information here. Or email us at fassplacements@lancaster.ac.uk with any queries, we’d be happy to help!