Becky Bowman’s Placement Year story as a Stained Glass Artist

In December 2018 I had the pleasure of catching up with Becky Bowman, a BA Fine Art with Placement Year student who is flourishing in her Placement Year role as a Stained Glass Artist with Reyntein Studios in London.

Becky discovered this opportunity through a family friend who had also worked as an intern with Reyntein Studios; after a few introductory emails, Becky made a formal application and was appointed to start working on some very exciting projects.

When I visited Becky in the studio I found her covered in soot and looking a little bit like a chimney sweep, but with a huge smile and brimming with confidence. ‘I won’t give you a huge as I’m covered in glass cement’ she said.

As we caught up, I watched Becky as she worked on a pane of glass for her current project, which was one of several hundred due to be installed in 2019.  The studio works on some very prestigious and high profile projects, so I can’t give out any specifics, but this project was on a prominent London landmark which will be seen by millions of people.

It was clear to see that she enjoyed the hands-on nature of her work, which included measuring and cutting glass to create different shapes, and then cementing these into place as part of a larger design. As Becky had already gained a wealth of new technical skills for creating the glass window pieces, she would soon be moving to the installation side of things, which would involve working on a construction site to set the windows in place and fully weatherproof each piece.

In spring, Becky will be entering a prestigious competition ‘The Stevens Competition 2019 Architectural Glass Artist of the Year’ which involves designing a piece of stained glass artwork to be installed in the Waiting Area of the Proton Beam Therapy Unit at University College Hospital in London. This competition has been running for 40 years, and is open exclusively to early career glass artists and designers. Becky has been fortunate enough to work with some incredible artists and designers so far, which will help her in shaping and developing her own independent work. She has promised to keep me posted on her progress, and following the design development for this project, she hopes to emerge with some fantastic ideas for her final year exhibition at Lancaster. Watch this space everybody!

Here are some of Becky’s thoughts on her time so far:

“There have been many enjoyable elements of this placement, but I would say the moments I have enjoyed the most are the ones where I feel I have accomplished something. For instance, after struggling to cement three panels in a day I was soon able to complete six. Being told that my glass cutting was getting faster and more accurate gave me a sense of achievement and, I suppose, as a result has made me enjoy cutting glass far more than when I first started. This may show where I find my motivation from: encouragement and achievement. 

I see myself working in Stained Glass after I graduate, though I still have my options open. It’s a great artistic job where you can both work for someone else or be self-employed, making windows on a commission basis. Financially it can be a struggle for some, but for those who find good projects, it can work out well. I know that if I utilise the connections from this placement, it will better by chances of being successful. It is a career which could allow me to be creative, enjoy my workplace and also to bring beauty into places- something which is far more valuable to me than financial achievements.

The experience this job, especially this project, has given me will be invaluable for my future career whether it be in stained glass or another vocation. I am being encouraged to enter a competition, which will give a creative outlet for the skills I am learning. The brief is to make a panel, which will be in a waiting room, for cancer patients to brighten their day. This will be a great experience which will impact my career opportunities. I am excited for what the future holds. “