Close

June 27, 2016

Developing Online Learning with Engaging Content (LING200 Update June 2016)

Xerte Screen

Carolina Perez is working with Professor Alison Sealey to improve the effectiveness of LING200 by developing a web page with engaging content that will act as the go-to place for information, advice and development of the skills students need for their dissertation.

Here is an update from Carolina on progress so far.

What have you done on the project so far?

The project has made some progress since the last update in April. I managed to reach help from the ISS department and we have got a much better idea of how the module can be updated in the Moodle page. I designed a prototype of how we wanted the module to look like and I learned to use more advanced features in PowerPoint. A meeting with the Library and the Careers department came out with the idea of using Xerte in order to convey the contents in a more dynamic way. I am currently learning how to use it.

Now that the layout of the updated Moodle site has been prototyped, we are updating the contents. We have contacted LUTV and they are helping us make and edit video content for the updated Moodle.

Have you faced any significant challenges to your project?

As with the previous update, the most difficult challenge has been to coordinate different schedules of all the people involved in the project. This is especially true for the recording of the video material and the realization of the Moodle prototype. This has slowed things down, although not significantly considering we have always envisioned to finish the project by the next academic year.

Have you used any new technology (software or hardware) since the last update?

I learned how to prototype a website in PowerPoint, which I learned from a common friend in the LICA department. Currently, I am learning how to include Xerte features into Moodle sites as well as how to use Panopto. Both links to start working with them were given in one of the meetings I had with Stephen Owens.

Find out more about Carolina’s ‘Developing LING200’ project